Friday, February 19, 2010

Seder for Adult Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse - Surviving Passover: Jewish Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse

As we all know when you come from an abusive family holidays can become difficult, especially for incest survivors who either can't be with relatives for safety reasons or find it difficult to be around family members.


Several adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse are looking for a place to go this year for Pesach. I wish The Awareness Center had the funds and staff to organize a seder in every community.  We would love to find people who would be interested in doing this.  Anyone up to organizing a seder for survivors on the east coast or anywhere else?  


Back in 1986 my friend Evy Gershon wrote the Survivors Haggadah for Adult Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse.  I thought it might be inspirational to anyone who might want to volunteer and organize something for survivors.  


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!

Anneke said...

You know, I've been talking about using this as our (Hillel at The Evergreen State College) Haggadah for our Passover shabbat seder this Friday. My co-coordinator is still looking it over, so no decision has been made yet, but I'm hoping we'll use it. If not this year, perhaps next Pesach!

I think it looks great. I wish there was something out there for those of us who did not deal with sexual abuse/assault as children, but were raped in adulthood, as well. (I am a survivor of rape, myself.)

b'Shalom,
Anneke